ReLABs_ REUSE WASTE LABORATORYResearch
The available abundance in our cities, together with the current model of consumption, comes with the generation of a massive quantity of residues. Madrid municipality produces and stores a great amount of materials of all kinds, including everything, from large publicity canvas to lamp posts). The great majority of those elements are still in good use when discarded or stored forever.
RE-LABs Madrid expects to:
- Research the real waste management system of the different areas of the municipality, and map their stored available materials.
- Propose a new management system that enables reuse instead of recycling, using the materials as an example on three intervention projects in school yards.
Main objectives of the project are:
- Encourage a culture of use inside public institutions and the society.
- Elaborate a catalogue of the waste and storage materials available at the Madrid municipality and its related companies.
- Use these materials to implement 3 interventions in Madrid public school yards
- Propose and test new school playground elements. How could we get them approved?
- Launch an awareness campaign about reuse, using real cases of massive reuse as examples to follow
OPEN CALL FOR COLLABORATIVE DESIGN AND PARTICIPATED INTERVENTION IN 3 SCHOOLS WITH REUSED MATERIALS THROUGH THE RE_LABS PROJECT
You can find the bases of it in this link
The call will be open from July 3 to September 3
RESOLUTION OF THE CALL: after the evaluation of the proposals received, the jury has decided to select the following projects:
ART-Z, CEIP José Hierro Parla by GRUPO
How is the Patio, IES Mariano José de Larra by La Urdimbre
RE-DES, CEIP Juan Sebastian el Cano by Recetas Urbanas
During the first year we have asked, researched and visited the warehouses of the Madrid Municipallity in which there are stored, produced, or arriving materials that we have identified with second live potential and suitable for reuse. We have located them in a map where the main warehouses could be find, but without a doubt there will be more that we did not have the chance to discover… we will have to continue investigating.
While researching, during this time, we also have discovered that reuse practices were already being carried out in our city. Most of them are unknow for almost every citizen, that is why we have considered important to share some of them with you in the map.